Sunday, May 6, 2018

RETREATS are Good for the Soul

I want to start today by saying how AWESOME sewing retreats are! I get to spend 3-4 days with some uber talented individuals who enjoy creating as much as I do.  

While over the years I have attended many retreats throughout the country, the two that I loved and have had the most impact on me as a creator were SEW SOUTH and MODERN STITCHING AFFAIR.

Sew South was my very first retreat. It was organized and run by Jennifer of Ellison Lane Handmade in early spring 2013 in a hotel in the beautiful city of Charlotte, NC. There were 50 attendees from all over the country who loved to sew, like me! We learned paper piecing (my first), made pajama bottoms and made a duffle bag (aka 'DARN DUFFLE').  We received so much swag that I had to go out and buy another suitcase to fly home with.  LOL

I have done several paper pieced projects and duffles through the years.  Paper piecing makes for precise points and the duffles make great gifts. The maroon striped duffle bag below is the one I made at the retreat.  I use it ALL THE TIME!  Below are a few of the other duffle bags I have made as gifts over the years.




We had lots of free sewing time where attendees worked on a variety of projects including quilts, bags, and even some children's clothes.  We also got to chat, get to know one another and socialize.  Many of my IG friends and sewing friends are these lovely ladies.  I cherish their friendship, support and advise through the years. I have gone to visit many of them over the years, as well.

Modern Stitching Affair (MSA) was hands down THE BEST retreat I have attended.  The first MSA was held the fall 2016 in a huge ballroom in Madison, WI.  It's the brain child of a Sew South attendee Trina and Wendy.  There were three presenters and respective projects -- Ann Sandler of Stitch Supply Company with hand stitching the Hexie Sampler, Cristy Fincher of Purple Daisies Quilting with Piec-lique technique with her Circle Maze Quilt Pattern, and Betz White with the her Field Study Tote.  PHOTOS below from Modern Stitching Affair IG Account. 



I finished my Field Study Tote at the retreat. The Pieces-lique Quilt project is one of my WIPs for this year with pieces for 12 additional blocks cut that need to be put together.  Although I have not finished my Hexie Sampler, I learned a ton and like working on it.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you will continue to follow me on this journey.

TTFN!


Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to receive comments. Please leave them below. Thanks!